Malai Mahadeshwara Wildlife Sanctuary to be a tiger reserve
Part of: GS Prelims –Environment and GS-II- Conservation
- Approval from the NTCA (National Tiger Conservation Authority) is expected to notify the Malai Mahadeshwara Wildlife Sanctuary as a tiger reserve.
From Prelims Point of View:
- Launched in 1973 with 9 tiger reserves
- Currently, The Project Tiger coverage has increased to 50 tiger reserves are constituted on a core/buffer strategy.
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme of the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change providing central assistance to the tiger States
National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) :
- Statutory body by 2006 amendment of Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- Launched in 2005ecommendations of the Tiger Task Force.
- Supervisory/coordination role, performing functions as provided in the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972
- M-STrIPES (Monitoring System for Tigers – Intensive Protection and Ecological Status) is an app based monitoring system, launched across Indian tiger reserves by the NTCA in 2010.