Regional integration pegged to SAARC revival
Part of: GS Prelims –Polity and GS-II- International relations
Sri Lanka’s former Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said :
- Postponement of the Kathmandu SAARC Summit in 2017 due to heightened tensions between India and Pakistan had brought the regional grouping “to a standstill”.
- Successful regional integration both economic and security depends on SAARC becoming fully functional at the highest levels
- BIMSTEC is not a substitute for SAARC
- Proposed an ‘Economic Integration Road Map (EIRM)’ : a “sub-region”, consisting of the five southern States of India, Sri Lanka (Population of 300 million people and a combined GDP of over $500 billion)
From Prelims Point of View:
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
- Established with the signing of the SAARC Charter Dhaka
- Headquarters and Secretariat Kathmandu, Nepal.
Framework of the SAARC:
- Respect for the principles of sovereign equality, territorial integrity, political independence, non-interference in the internal affairs of other States and mutual benefit.
SAARC comprises of eight member States
- Sri Lanka
Observers to SAARC, are: (i) Australia; (ii) China; (iii) the European Union; (iv) Iran; (v) Japan; (vi) the Republic of Korea; (vii) Mauritius; (viii) Myanmar; and (ix) the United States of America.
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional multilateral organisation.
- Sri Lanka
- Connects South and Southeast Asia
- Connects ecologies of the Great Himalayas and the Bay of Bengal.
- To create an enabling environment for rapid economic development
- Accelerate social progress , Promote collaboration on matters of common interest in the region.
- Sub-regional organization came into being in 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration
- Creating an enabling environment for the rapid economic development of the sub-region.
- Encouraging the spirit of equality and partnership.
- Promoting active collaboration and mutual assistance in the areas of common interests of the member countries
- Accelerating support for each other in the fields of education, science, and technology, etc.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :