National Technical Textiles Mission
Part of: GS Prelims- Government Schemes and GS-II- Governance; GS-III-Economy
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved to set up a National Technical Textiles Mission with a total outlay of Rs 1480 Crore with a view to position the country as a global leader in technical textiles
- A Mission Directorate will be operational in the Ministry of Textiles.
- The Mission aims at increasing the size of the technical textiles in the domestic market to $40 billion which would require an average growth of at least 10 % per annum.
- Technical textiles are textiles materials and products manufactured primarily for technical performance and functional properties rather than aesthetic characteristics.
- Technical Textiles products are divided into 12 broad categories (Agrotech, Buildtech, Clothtech, Geotech, Hometech, Indutech, Mobiltech, Meditech, Protech, Sportstech, Oekotech, Packtech) depending upon their application areas.
- It will be implemented for four years starting from 2020-2021 and will have four components namely
- Research, development and innovation with an outlay of ₹1,000 crores
- Promotion and development of the market for technical textiles.
- Export promotion
- Promoting technical education at higher engineering and technology levels related to technical textiles.