New claimant for kambala record
- Claims and counterclaims on the fastest kambala jockey have been surfacing ever since Srinivas Gowda of Moodbidri hit the headlines for covering 142.5 metres in 13.62 seconds
From Prelims Point Of View:
- Traditional buffalo race in paddy fields filled with slush and mud
- Coastal Karnataka (Udupi and Dakshina Kannada) from November to March.
- Observed as thanksgiving to gods for protecting the animals from diseases
- Sponsored by local Tuluva landlords
- Tuluva people are an ethnic group native to Southern India. They are native speakers of the Tulu language.
- Kambala involves acts of cruelty on animals
- it violates the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (PCA) Act, 1960.