NGT cancels eco-clearance to high-rise near Kaikondrahalli lake
Part of: GS Prelims –Environment and GS-III Conservation
- Eco Clearance was a ‘breach of environment norms, violation of municipal laws and buffer zone regulations’.
- The EC was granted in January 2018 by the Karnataka State Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA).
From Prelims Point of view:
- Kaikondrahalli Lake, a small urban lake in Bengaluru
National Green Tribunal :
- Set up under the National Green Tribunal Act (2010)
- Effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
- India became the third country in the world to set up a specialised environmental tribunal, (Australia and New Zealand)
- Disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of filing of the same.