SC voices concern over deforestation
Chief Justice of India said:
- Deforestation is so rapid that before anyone knows everything will be lost
- Condemned humanity’s tendency to abuse natural resources for greed and profit.
- Estimate the value of a tree, factoring in the value of the quantum of oxygen it emits in its lifetime.
From Prelims Point Of View:
- Large-scale removal of trees from forests (or other lands) for the facilitation of human activities.
- Result in the loss of biodiversity, damage to natural habitats, disturbances in the water cycle, and soil erosion.
- Contributor to climate change and global warming.
- Agriculture – small-scale and large scale farming
- Logging – cutting of trees for use as raw material
- Mining and urban expansion – clearing of forest area for the construction of infrastructure