UIDAI seeks proof of citizenship
- Resident of Hyderabad was reportedly asked to prove his Indian citizenship by the Unique Identification Authority of India move to the High Court
- UIDAI in a release has said that Aadhaar has got nothing to do with citizenship.
- People had obtained Aadhaar on false pretences because they were found to be illegal immigrants. Such Aadhaar numbers are liable to cancellation.
IASBABA’s Value Addition :
- Recently the Parliament has passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which allows voluntary use of Aadhaar as proof of identity.
From Prelims Point Of View:
Unique Identification Authority of India
- statutory authority established under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Aadhaar Act 2016)
- Initially set up by the Government of India under the aegis of the Planning Commission
- UIDAI is mandated to assign a 12-digit unique identification (UID) number (Aadhaar) to all the residents of India.