UIDAI seeks proof of citizenship
- Resident of Hyderabad was reportedly asked to prove his Indian citizenship by the Unique Identification Authority of India move to the High Court
- UIDAI in a release has said that Aadhaar has got nothing to do with citizenship.
- People had obtained Aadhaar on false pretences because they were found to be illegal immigrants. Such Aadhaar numbers are liable to cancellation.
IASBABA’s Value Addition :
- Recently the Parliament has passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 which allows voluntary use of Aadhaar as proof of identity.
From Prelims Point Of View:
Unique Identification Authority of India
- statutory authority established under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Aadhaar Act 2016)
- Initially set up by the Government of India under the aegis of the Planning Commission
- UIDAI is mandated to assign a 12-digit unique identification (UID) number (Aadhaar) to all the residents of India.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :