Swachh Bharat Mission second phase
- The Centre will begin implementing the second phase of its Swachh Bharat mission in rural areas
- Focusing on solid and liquid waste management and the sustainability of the abolition of open defecation.
- Budget for 2020-21 had allocated ₹9,994 crore for the first year of the mission’s Phase-II.
- Scheme will be implemented by the States, with a fund sharing pattern of 60:40 between the Centre and the States.
- In the north-eastern and Himalayan states, the Central share will be 90%.
From Prelims point of view:
Swachh Bharat Mission
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) entered its fifth and final year of implementation.
- Aim to achieve Swachh Bharat by 2019, as a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th Birth Anniversary.
- SBM is a demand-centric model.
- It focuses on behaviour change to generate demand for sanitation services by the rural population which is then followed by supply.
- Rural sanitation coverage from 39% in October 2014 to 95% in 2018.
- 8.7 crore household toilets have been constructed
- 93.4% of the households in rural India who have access to a toilet use it