Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Federalism
- In News: Assam State Election Commissioner has deferred the elections to the 40-seat BTC in view of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- BTC is an autonomous district council under the provisions of the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution
- It was formed as a result of the second Bodo accord, 2003
- The area under the BTC jurisdiction is now officially called the Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR) comprising of 3,082 villages in four districts— Kokrajhar, Chirang, Udalguri and Baska.
Prelims Value Addition
- The Sixth Schedule of the Constitution of India (Articles 244(2) and 275(1)) provides for decentralized self-governance and dispute resolution through local customary laws in parts of the North East which are mainly tribal areas.
- It contains provisions as to the Administration of Tribal Areas in the States of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram
- Governor is the constitutional head of areas under the Sixth Schedule.