Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance; Health
- Recently, the details of air travellers were leaked online raising privacy concerns.
- A forward of a list containing details of the passengers was received on number of social media platforms, which were forwarded further.
- The list included names, passport numbers, flight details, mobile phone numbers and addresses of all travellers.
- Apart from the threat of violence, each person on the list may be vulnerable to a number of crimes, like online fraud, electronic impersonation or identity theft.
- Beta app Corona Kavach has raised some red flags due to this leak.
Important value additions:
- It is a beta-version app by the Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology.
- It is an app designed to track the location of COVID-19 infected people and alert subscribers when they come near their locations.
- It has already been downloaded by more than 100,000 people.
- It is mandatory for all COVID-19 patients to download the app to track their whereabouts.