EC moots linking Aadhar with Voter-ID
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II-Constitutional Bodies
- Election Commission has mooted this idea to ensure preparation of an error free electoral roll, and to prevent duplication of entries
- The proposal requires an amendment to the Representation of People’s Act 1951
- The move would allow migrant labour and workers to vote even if they are away from their homes at the time of elections.
- It would also allow automatic inclusion of citizens into electoral roll once the person attains 18 years of age.
Value addition for Prelims
- The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority established under Article 324 responsible for administering election processes of offices of President and Vice-President of India and Parliament and State Legislatures
- Article 324-329 deals with provisions of elections and ECI
- Originally the commission had only one election commissioner but after the Election Commissioner Amendment Act 1989, it has been made a multi-member body.
- The commission now consists of one Chief Election Commissioner and two Election Commissioners.
- A similar independent constitutional authority has been created to conduct elections to municipalities, Panchayats and other local bodies (Articles 243 K and 243 ZA).