Environment Ministry orders relocation of desalination plant project
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Environment
- The Ministry of Environment and Forests’ Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) has directed the Tamil Nadu Water and Drainage Board (TWAD) to shift its project site.
- The project site was for setting up a 60 MLD Sea and Brackish Water Reverse Osmosis (SWRO) plant near the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park.
According to The EAC,
- The project site is within the eco-sensitive zone of the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park.
- The release of brine will certainly impact the fish catch affecting the fishermen.
- Reefs, seaweeds, seagrass and the overall ecosystem of the area will also be affected.
- No detailed marine environmental impact assessment had been carried out for the project.
Important value additions:
The Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park
- It is a protected area of India.
- It consists of 21 small islands and adjacent coral reefs in the Gulf of Mannar in the Indian Ocean.
- It is the core area of the Gulf of Mannar Biosphere Reserve.
- Public access inside the Park is limited to glass bottom boat rides.
Expert appraisal committee
- It exists at the Union as well as state levels (state expert appraisal committee or SEAC)
- It is formed to advise the government on environmental clearance of development projects.
- They are involved at all the stages, except for public hearing.
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- It is a process of evaluating the likely environmental impacts of a proposed project or development.
- Both EPA and EIA are provided under Environment Protection Act 1980.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :