Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Geography
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister named Gairsain as the new summer capital of the state
- Gairsain is situated at the eastern edge of the Dudhatoli mountain range.
- Uttarakhand was carved out as a separate state from Uttar Pradesh in 1998
- Statehood activists had long contended that Gairsain, a tehsil in Chamoli district, was best suited to be the capital of the mountainous state as it was a hilly region falling on the border of Kumaon and Garhwal regions.
- The state Assembly is located in Dehradun, but sessions are held in Gairsain as well.
Pic Source: Catch News
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :