Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Geography
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister named Gairsain as the new summer capital of the state
- Gairsain is situated at the eastern edge of the Dudhatoli mountain range.
- Uttarakhand was carved out as a separate state from Uttar Pradesh in 1998
- Statehood activists had long contended that Gairsain, a tehsil in Chamoli district, was best suited to be the capital of the mountainous state as it was a hilly region falling on the border of Kumaon and Garhwal regions.
- The state Assembly is located in Dehradun, but sessions are held in Gairsain as well.
Pic Source: Catch News