Gender Parity Index
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I-Society; GS-II- Governance
- Gender Parity Index in education is the ratio of the number of female students enrolled to the number of male students in each level of education.
- In short, GPI at various levels reflect equitable participation of girls in the School system.
- GPI is released by UNESCO as a part of its Global Education Monitoring Report.
- A GPI of 1 indicates parity between the sexes; GPI below 1 indicated disparity in favour of males and GPI above 1 indicated disparity in favour of females
- India’s GPI for the year 2018-19 at different levels of School Education is as follows:
- Primary Education: 1.03
- Upper Primary Education: 1.12
- Secondary Education: 1.04
- Higher Secondary Education: 1.04
- India’s GPI indicates that the number of girls is more than the number of boys at all levels of school Education.