Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- health
- WHO advised patients suffering from COVID-19-like symptoms to avoid the drug ibuprofen, unless prescribed by doctors.
- It is an anti-inflammatory drug that is easily available with chemists in India, and can be purchased without a doctor’s prescription.
- Ibuprofen, a non-steroid, is used for relief from joint pain, migraine, fever, body ache, and even pain during the menstrual cycle.
- Its function is to reduce pain, swelling, and fever by suppressing substances that produce swelling in the body.
- Other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs include aspirin, cortisone, naproxen and diclofenac.
The National Commission for Indian System of Medicine Bill, 2019
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance
- The Bill was passed by Rajya Sabha
- The Bill seeks to repeal the Indian Medicine Central Council Act, 1970 and provides for a medical education system to ensure availability of quality medical professionals of Indian System of Medicine
Key features of the bill are:
- The Bill provides for the establishment of the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine (NCISM). The NCISM will consist of 29 members, appointed by the central government.
- Functions of the NCISM include:
- Framing policies for regulating medical institutions and medical professionals of Indian System of Medicine
- Assessing the requirements of healthcare related human resources and infrastructure
- Ensuring compliance by the State Medical Councils of Indian System of Medicine of the regulations made under the Bill
- Ensuring coordination among the autonomous boards set up under the Bill.
- Autonomous Boards: The bill sets the following boards under supervision of NCISM
- The Board of Ayurveda and the Board of Unani, Siddha, and Sowa-Rigpa
- The Medical Assessment and Rating Board for Indian System of Medicine:
- The Ethics and Medical Registration Board:
- The central government will constitute an Advisory Council for Indian System of Medicine. The Council will be the primary platform through which the states/union territories can put forth their views and concerns before the NCISM.
- Entrance Exam: There will be a uniform National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for admission to under-graduate education in each of the disciplines of the Indian System of Medicine in all medical institutions regulated by the Bill.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :