Rehabilitation of Beggars
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Society
- The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment is exploring the possibilities of a scheme for persons engaged in the act of begging.
- The Scheme would cover identification, rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counselling, education, skill development with the support of State governments & NGOs.
- The Ministry provides funds to the National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation (NBCFDC) for skill development programmes for beggars
- NBCFDC is a Government of India Undertaking under the aegis of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- It was incorporated under Section 25 of the Companies Act 1956 on 13th January 1992 as a Company not for profit.
- Its objective is to promote economic and developmental activities for the benefit of Backward Classes and to assist the poorer section of these classes in skill development and self-employment ventures.