Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Governance
- The Software Freedom Law Centre (SFLC) released data on internet shutdown in India.
- Internet in India was shut down for 314 times between 2017 & 2019 and 95 of these lasted more than a day
- There were at least 147 instances over these three years for which there is no data on the duration of the shutdowns as there is lack of any form of communication on these blockades.
- There is a rising trend to use Section 144 of the Code Of Criminal Procedure to justify the communications blockade and the continuance of it
Did You Know about the rules on suspension of the internet?
- Under the Indian Telegraph Act of 1885, only the Home Secretary of the central or the state government can pass orders to enforce an internet shutdown in any area.
- The order must include the detailed reasons for the shutdown and must be sent to a review committee the next day.
- The committee shall, within five days, submit its report and only if the shutdown is justified even after that will the communications blockade continue.