Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Security
- LCA Tejas is a single-engine multirole light combat aircraft.
- It replaced the aging Mig 21 fighter planes.
- It is the second supersonic fighter jet that was developed by HAL (the first one being HAL HF-24 Marut).
- Bodies involved: Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the autonomous society of DRDO is the design agency and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as the manufacturer
- It is the lightest and smallest multirole supersonic fighter aircraft in its class.
- It can attend the maximum speed of Mach 1.8.
- It is designed to carry a range of air-to-air, air-to-surface, precision-guided and standoff weaponry.
- It is a single pilot aircraft that has a maximum takeoff weight of 13,300 kg.
- It has a general range of 850 km and a combat range of 500 km.