Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY)
Part of: GS Prelims – Government Schemes and GS-III- Economy
- LPG scheme PM Ujjwala Yojana closed, but only 3 States have become kerosene-free
- PMUY is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
- Under the scheme, an adult woman member of a below poverty line family identified through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) is given a deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.
- The Petroleum Ministry informed the Parliamentary committee on Petroleum that
- The government had met the target of eight crore LPG connections on September 7, 2019,
- The scheme was no longer running, and the present allocation ( ₹1,118 crore during 2020-21) was meant to meet the arrears in the reimbursement of expenditure
- 97% LPG coverage nationwide– calculated by dividing the number of households — it stand at 2850.5 lakh as on February 1 this year — and the domestic LPG consumers, at 2772.2 lakh.
- The committee, therefore, recommended that the scheme be extended to poor households in urban and semi-urban slum areas
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :