Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY)
Part of: GS Prelims – Government Schemes and GS-III- Economy
- LPG scheme PM Ujjwala Yojana closed, but only 3 States have become kerosene-free
- PMUY is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
- Under the scheme, an adult woman member of a below poverty line family identified through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) is given a deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.
- The Petroleum Ministry informed the Parliamentary committee on Petroleum that
- The government had met the target of eight crore LPG connections on September 7, 2019,
- The scheme was no longer running, and the present allocation ( ₹1,118 crore during 2020-21) was meant to meet the arrears in the reimbursement of expenditure
- 97% LPG coverage nationwide– calculated by dividing the number of households — it stand at 2850.5 lakh as on February 1 this year — and the domestic LPG consumers, at 2772.2 lakh.
- The committee, therefore, recommended that the scheme be extended to poor households in urban and semi-urban slum areas