Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Society; GS-II- Polity
- Supreme Court has held that a Hindu adoption is not valid unless the man takes prior consent from his wife and that there is actual ceremony of adoption
- These two conditions were mandated in the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act of 1956
Prelims Value Addition
- Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) is statutory body of Ministry of Women & Child Development
- It is established under Juvenile Justice Act, 2015.
- It is a nodal body for adoption of Indian children.
- It is mandated to monitor and regulate in-country and inter-country adoptions.
- It deals in orphan, abandoned or surrendered children.
- It deals with inter-country adoptions according to Hague Convention on Inter-country Adoption, 1993 ratified by India in 2003.