Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Health
- Sepsis is a common cause of death from Coronavirus
- Sepsis is a life-threatening organ dysfunction caused by the body’s immune system overreacting in response to an infection.
- This overactive, toxic response can lead to tissue damage, multiple organ failure and death.
- Cause: Sepsis can be triggered by a variety of pathogens- Viruses, bacteria, fungi or parasites
- Treatment: The blood is examined, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is administered, and sufficient blood circulation and ventilation are ensured.