State Human Rights Commission
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Polity
- Rajasthan SHRC recommends meditation to fight COVID-19
- The Protection of Human Rights Act of 1993 provides for the creation of State Human Rights Commission at the state level.
- A State Human Rights Commission can inquire into violation of human rights related to subjects covered under state list and concurrent list in the seventh schedule of the Indian constitution
- The Governor of the state appoints the chairperson and other members on the recommendations of a committee consisting of
- Chief Minister as its head
- Speaker of the Legislative Assembly
- The state home minister
- The leader of the opposition in the Legislative Assembly
- In case the state has legislative council- The chairman and the leader of the opposition of legislative council would also be the members of the committee
- The chairman or any other member is removable by the President on the charge of proved misbehavior or incapacity after a regular inquiry by a judge of the Supreme Court.