Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and technology
- The the government has been urged by IIT – Hyderabad to consider the use of ‘bag valve masks’ as an alternative to meet any surge in demand for ventilators, in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Bag valve masks are small devices used to deliver breathing support in emergency situations.
- They are also known as “ambu bags”.
- These are currently hand-powered and therefore not suitable for continuous use as a ventilator.
- Similar devices can be manufactured which is powered by an electrical source, like a car battery or conventional power supply.
- It is a portable and affordable device suitable to use even in villages and other remote areas.
- Conventional ventilators are generally expensive, hard to produce and not portable.
Image source: Click here