Convalescent Plasma Therapy
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved use of blood plasma from recovered patients to treat severely critical COVID-19 patients.
- This process is called convalescent plasma therapy.
- Convalescent plasma therapy seeks to make use of the antibodies developed in the recovered patient against the coronavirus.
- The whole blood or plasma (the colourless fluid part of blood) is taken from recovered patient.
- The plasma is then injected in critically ill patients to transfer the antibodies and boost their fight against the virus.
Important value additions:
- A COVID-19 patient usually develops primary immunity against the virus in 10-14 days.
- If the plasma is injected at an early stage, it can possibly help fight the virus and prevent severe illness.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :