Biofortified carrot variety benefits local farmers
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Science and Technology
- Madhuban Gajar, a biofortified carrot variety, developed by a farmer scientist has benefited hundreds of farmers in Gujarat.
- The carrot has high β-carotene (beta-carotene) and iron content.
- The variety is being cultivated in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh since the last three years.
- The Madhuvan Gajar is used for various value-added products.
- It was developed by Shri Vallabhhai Vasrambhai Marvaniyawas.
- He has received a National Award (2017) and a Padma Shri (2019) for his extraordinary work.
Important value additions:
- It means breeding crops to increase their nutritional value.
- This can be done either through conventional selective breeding, or through genetic engineering.