Biofortified carrot variety benefits local farmers
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Science and Technology
- Madhuban Gajar, a biofortified carrot variety, developed by a farmer scientist has benefited hundreds of farmers in Gujarat.
- The carrot has high β-carotene (beta-carotene) and iron content.
- The variety is being cultivated in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh since the last three years.
- The Madhuvan Gajar is used for various value-added products.
- It was developed by Shri Vallabhhai Vasrambhai Marvaniyawas.
- He has received a National Award (2017) and a Padma Shri (2019) for his extraordinary work.
Important value additions:
- It means breeding crops to increase their nutritional value.
- This can be done either through conventional selective breeding, or through genetic engineering.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :