Topic: General Studies 2
- :Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education
COVID-19: Online schooling: Possibilities and concerns
The lockdown imposed by authorities in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the learning curve of millions of children in India (& across world). This has led to renewal of interest on online learning
Do you know how Technology is aiding the three aspects of schooling?
- Information –Google has revolutionised access to information
- Interaction – free apps (like Google class rooms, Zoom, Skype, Electa) and customised learning management systems has enabled teacher-student interactions to continue even during these times of lockdown
- Self-study – Students now have access to various sources for self-study Ex: Swayam Prabha by GoI, National Digital Library (even IASBaba for UPSC-CSE preparation)
Concerns w.r.t Online Schooling
- Job Losses: There is a fear that school managements would use online learning system in downsizing the number of teachers once the Corona-scene is over
- Digital Infrastructure: Teachers need to be provided with laptops/tablets and a steady internet connection for such exercises
- Digital Capabilities: Teachers should also be equipped with basic operating skills in computers and good typing speed
- Integration with Learning: Online schooling process can become ineffective if technological process is not integrated with learning. Thus any online schooling needs to have proper schedule, Lessons, notes, interactions and online tests
- Digital Access: School children (especially in rural areas) don’t usually have phones, social media accounts or even e-mail IDs and thus require parental guidance.
- Technology should be used to improve the conversation between teachers and students, not to abandon it altogether
- Technology has to be seen as an aid to schooling, not a substitute to it
Connecting the dots:
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :