Funds allocated to State Disaster Risk Management Fund
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Disaster management; GS-II – Centre – State Relations
- Union Minister of Home Affairs (MHA) approved the release of ₹11,092 crore under the State Disaster Risk Management Fund (SDRMF) to all the States to take measures for containment of COVID-19 pandemic.
- The funds were allocated to the States on the recommendation of the 15th Finance Commission.
- It was also reiterated to the State Chief Secretaries to ensure that exceptions with regard to farming operations, be allowed under the 21-day lockdown while maintaining Social Distancing.
Important value additions:
State Disaster Risk Management Fund (SDRF)
- It is the primary fund available with State Governments for responses to notified disasters to meet expenditure for providing immediate relief to the victims.
- Centre contributes 75% of SDRF allocation for general category States and Union Territories and 90% for special category States (North East States, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir).