Global Terrorism Index (GTI), 2019: India ranks seventh worst terrorism affected country
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Terrorism
- India is ranked as seventh worst terrorism affected country in Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2019 report.
- India is even worse affected than other conflict-ridden countries like Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Burkina Faso, Palestine and Lebanon.
- Meanwhile, India’s think tank, NITI Aayog has questioned the methodology adopted by the report.
- Deaths from terrorism fell for the fourth consecutive year, after peaking in 2014.
- Afghanistan has replaced Iraq as the most affected country by terrorism.
- India has moved to the seventh position from the previous year’s eighth in the annual Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2019.
- Other countries ahead of India are:
- Afghanistan (most affected)
Important value additions:
The Global Terrorism Index (GTI)
- It is a report published annually by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), a global think tank
- It is headquartered in Sydney, Australia.
- The index provides a comprehensive summary of the key global trends and patterns in terrorism since 2000.
- GTI scores are directly used in the Global Peace Index, the Global Slavery Report,
- It is also indirectly used in reports of World Economic Forum’s Travel and Tourism Competitiveness and Global Competitiveness Indices and compilation of Safe Cities Index by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :