Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- According to the Centre-run System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR), the measures against COVID-19 have led to a drop in PM2.5 (fine particulate pollutant) to a great extent in major cities like Delhi and Pune.
- With a nationwide lockdown in place, over 90 cities, including Delhi, have recorded minimal air pollution in the last few days.
- The level of Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) pollution, mainly caused due to a high motor vehicle traffic, has also reduced.
- NOx pollution can increase the risk of respiratory conditions.
Important value additions:
System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR)
- It was indigenously developed by Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune.
- It is run by India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- The objective is to provide Real-time air quality index on 24×7 basis with colour coding along with 72-hour advance weather forecast.
- Another goal is to issue health advisory to prepare citizens well in advance.
GreenCo Rating System
- GreenCo Rating system has been acknowledged in India’s Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) document.
- It is used as a proactive voluntary action of Indian industry / private sector towards combating climate change.
- It is developed by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- CII is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry-led and industry-managed organization