Sepsivac®: an immunomodulator to enhance innate immunity
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and Technology
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has decided to develop/repurpose an approved immunomodulator, Sepsivac®,
- It will enhance innate immunity of the body which will limit the spread of COVID-19 and fasten the recovery of the patients of COVID-19.
- Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has approved the new clinical trials for the immunomodulator.
- The trials will also be held for evaluating the efficacy of the drug for reducing mortality (deaths) in critically ill COVID-19 patients.
- The drug is being developed by CSIR through its flagship New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative (NMITLI) program.
- Sepsivac® is expected–
- to protect the close contacts of COVID-19 patients and health care staff by boosting their innate response.
- to provide quicker recovery to the hospitalized COVID-19 patients, who are not critically ill.
- Sepsivac® contains heat-killed Mycobacterium W (Mw).
- No systemic side effects are associated with its use.
Important value additions:
- Natural defense mechanism of the body is known as innate immunity.
- It plays a key role in the fight against viral infections like COVID-19.
- It is a fast, first and efficient immune response for identifying and eliminating viruses.
- Cells of human immune system like Macrophages, NK cells offer such protection.
- They are medications used to help regulate or normalize the immune system.
New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative (NMITLI)
- It is the largest public-private-partnership effort within the Research & Development field in the country.
- NMITLI seeks to act as a catalyst in innovation-centered scientific and technological developments and to help Indian industry achieve a global leadership position.
Drugs Controller General of India
- It is responsible for approval of licences of specified categories of drugs such as blood and blood products, IV fluids, vaccines, and sera in India.
- It comes under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- DCGI sets standards for manufacturing, sales, import, and distribution of drugs in India.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :