Two recent innovations by National Chemical Laboratory: Digital Thermometer & Oxygen Enrichment Unit
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and technology
- Recent innovations by CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, can help in the mitigation of the Coronavirus outbreak.
- The innovations are Hand held digital IR thermometer and Oxygen enrichment unit (OEUs).
- Hand held digital IR thermometer is an important component of measures to mitigate Coronavirus outbreak.
- Mobile phone or power banks can be used as a power source.
- The design of thermometer is available open source wherein software design and mass manufacturing-ready hardware will be available to manufacturers across India for free.
- Oxygen enrichment unit (OEUs) will increase the oxygen concentration from the ambient air of 21-22% to 38-40%.
- OEU is hollow fiber membrane bundles which will separate and filtrate ambient air to produce enriched oxygen for patients in home and hospital settings.