China teams up with Pakistan to build Diamer-Bhasha Dam
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International relations
- China has recently teamed up with Pakistan to build the Diamer-Bhasha dam in Gilgit-Baltistan region.
- It has created some tension between India and China since India has laid claims over this region.
- Power China, one of the biggest Chinese power companies, received a contract to build the Diamer-Bhasha dam.
- Once completed, the dam will allow Pakistan to use the waters of the Indus for irrigation.
Important value additions:
- It is a concrete-filled gravity dam, in the initial stages of construction, on the River Indus between Kohistan district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Diamer district in Gilgit Baltistan.
- The dam site is situated near a place called “Bhasha”, hence the name.
- Its foundation stone was laid by the then Prime Minister of Pakistan in 1998.