Decision on Dibang Multipurpose Project postponed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment; Biodiversity
- The Forest Advisory Committee (FEC), has once again deferred (postpone) its decision on Dibang project in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The project has been delayed for over six years because it requires diverting 1,165 hectares of forest which is rich in biodiversity.
Important value additions:
Dibang Multipurpose Project
- It is located on river Dibang, in Lower Dibang Valley District of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The project shall generate 2, 880 MW power.
- This is the largest ever Hydro Electric Project to be constructed in India.
- The dam will be Concrete Gravity Dam.
Forest Advisory Committee (FEC)
- It is the apex body of the Environment Ministry responsible for deciding whether forest land can be diverted for industrial projects.
- It is a tropical cyclone formed over Bay of Bengal
- It is likely to turn into a “super cyclonic storm.
- It has been named by Thailand.
- West Bengal, Odisha and Bangladesh will be the most affected regions.