Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS) approved
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence; Indigenization of Technology and Developing New Technology.
- To give a boost to domestic defence and aerospace manufacturing, Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS) was approved recently with an outlay of Rs 400 crore.
- State of the art testing infrastructure shall be created for the defence sector under this scheme.
- Six to eight new test facilities in partnership with private industry shall be set up.
- This will facilitate indigenous defence production and reduce imports of military equipment making the country self-reliant.
- The projects will be provided with up to 75% government funding in the form of ‘Grant-in-Aid’.
- The remaining 25% of the project cost will have to be borne by the Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV).
- The constituents of SPV will be Indian private entities and State Governments.
- The SPVs will be registered under Companies Act 2013 and shall also operate and maintain all assets under the Scheme, in a self-sustainable manner by collecting user charges.