Fountain of high-energy particles erupting from the ice found in Antarctica through ANITA
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Science and Technology
- Researchers using NASA’s Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna (ANITA) have found a fountain of high-energy particles erupting from the ice in Antarctica.
- This could be proof of a parallel universe.
Important value additions:
Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna (ANITA)
- The ANITA instrument is a radio telescope to detect ultra-high energy cosmic-ray neutrinos from a scientific balloon flying over the continent of Antarctica.
- It is the first NASA observatory for neutrinos of any kind.
- Neutrinos are of great interest to astrophysicists as they are the only particle that can reach earth unattenuated (not weakened) at all energies.
- It detects these ultra-high energy neutrinos by use of the Askaryan effect.
- This effect predicts the production of a coherent radio emission from the cascade of particles produced in a high-energy particle interaction.
- ANITA-I was launched in 2006–07 and ANITA-IV was launched in 2016.