Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyaya Yojana
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Welfare Schemes; GS-III – Agriculture
- Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyaya Yojana is a new income support programme announced by the State government of Chhattisgarh.
- Farmers would get up to ₹13,000 an acre a year under the scheme.
- In the first instalment, ₹1,500 crore would be distributed among 18 lakh farmers aming whom more than 80% are small and marginal farmers.
- The annual cost of the scheme would be ₹5,700 crore.
- Initially, the scheme would cover rice, maize and sugarcane farmers.
- It would later expand to other crops as well.
- Rice and maize farmers would get ₹10,000 an acre, while sugarcane farmers would get ₹13,000.
- The money would be distributed in four instalments.
- This will help them through the agricultural cycle and help with extension activities.
- The additional income to farmers would increase rural demand and also act as a stimulus for the State’s economy.