IDEAthon on “The Future of River Management’
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- Recently, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) had organized an IDEAthon on “The Future of River Management’.
- Aim of the event was to explore how the Covid-19 crisis can shape river management strategies for the future.
- Namami Gange (implemented by the NMCG) and NIUA plan to bring out a policy paper based on the event.
Important value additions:
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
- It is the implementation wing of the National Ganga Council.
- It was established in the year 2011 as a registered society.
- It is under the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It has a two-tier management structure.
- It comprises of Governing Council and Executive Committee.
- To ensure effective control of pollution and rejuvenation of the river Ganga by adopting a river basin approach.
- To maintain minimum ecological flows in the river Ganga with the aim of ensuring water quality and environmentally sustainable development.
National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA)
- It is an institute for research, training and information dissemination in urban development and management.
- It is located in New Delhi, India.
- It was established in 1976 as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act.