Saras Collection launched on the Government e Marketplace (GeM) portal
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Governance
- Recently, the Indian government launched the Saras Collection on the Government e Marketplace (GeM) portal.
- It is a unique initiative by the GeM, Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) and Ministry of Rural Development.
- It shall showcase daily utility products made by rural Self-Help Groups (SHGs).
- It aims to provide SHGs with market access to Central and State Government buyers.
- The initiative is first launched in the states of Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
- It shall cover other states in the upcoming phases.
- It will do away with intermediaries in the supply chain and ensure better prices for SHGs.
Important value additions:
- It is a National Procurement Portal to facilitate online procurement of common use goods and services required by various central and state government departments/organizations/public sector undertakings (PSUs).
- It was launched in 2016 to bring transparency and efficiency in the procurement.
- It functions under Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals (DGS&D), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana or DAY
- It is a Government of India scheme for helping the poor by providing skill training in both rural and urban areas as per requisite international standards.
- The Government of India has provisioned ₹500 crore (US$70 million) for the scheme.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :