Advisories launched on World Environment Day by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs recently launched advisories on the occasion of World Environment Day.
- These advisories are:
- Advisory on Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs) for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
- Advisory on Landfill Reclamation
- Draft advisory on On-site and Off-site Sewage Management Practices.
- These advisories have been prepared by the Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation (CPHEEO) under Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban).
- These are part of an effort to find and facilitate sustainable solutions to some of the key problems which prevent holistic sanitation and solid waste management.
- A toolkit for a communication campaign on faecal sludge management titled ‘Malasur- The Demon of Defeca’ was also released.
- It aims at heightening the risk perception of faecal sludge.
Important value additions
World Environment Day
- It is celebrated on 5th June every year.
- This year’s theme is ‘Biodiversity’.
- In India, Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change held virtual celebrations on this year’s theme with focus on Nagar Van (Urban Forests).
- It relaunched a scheme (Nagar Van Scheme) for creating urban forest in 200 corporations and cities because all these cities have gardens but not forests.
- The forests shall come up either on existing forest land or on any other vacant land offered by urban local bodies.
- Wajre Urban forest in Pune, Maharashtra has been developed on a 40 acre degraded land area. It sets right model for Nagar Van scheme.
- The urban forests will help in reducing pollution in these cities.