Education inequalities widened due to COVID pandemic: UNESCO
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – Govt schemes and programmes; Welfare/Development issue
According to 2020 Global Education Monitoring Report released by UNESCO,
- COVID-19 pandemic has increased inequalities in education systems across the world.
- About 40% of low- and lower-middle-income countries have not supported learners at risk of exclusion during this crisis.
- In April 2020, almost 91% of students around the world were out of school.
- Poor, linguistic minorities and learners with disabilities were affected more as resources for such persons may not be available outside schools.
- For poor students who depend on school for free meals or even free sanitary napkins, closures have been a major blow.