Garib Kalyan Roqwjgar Abhiyaan
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – Govt schemes and programmes; Welfare/Unemployment issue
- Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan was launched on 20th June 2020 to boost employment and livelihood opportunities for migrant workers returning to villages, in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak.
- This campaign will work in mission mode for 125 days with an outlay of Rs. 50,000 crore.
The major objectives of the initiative include:
- Provide livelihood opportunity to returning migrants and similarly affected rural citizens
- Saturate villages with public infrastructure and create livelihood opportunities viz. Roads, Housing, Anganwadis, Panchayat Bhavans, various livelihood assets and Community Complexes among others
- The basket of a wide variety of works will ensure that each migrant worker is able to get an opportunity of employment according to his skill, in the coming 125 days. The Program will also prepare for expansion and development of livelihoods over a longer term.
Do you know?
- The Ministry of Rural Development is the nodal Ministry for this campaign and the campaign will be implemented in close coordination with the State Governments. Central Nodal Officers of the rank of Joint Secretary and above will be appointed to oversee the effective and timely implementation of various schemes in the identified districts.
- The Railways decided to generate 8 lakh man-days of employment in various infrastructure projects till October 2020 as part of “Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan”.