“Healthy and Energy Efficient Buildings” initiative launched
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Energy; Environment; Climate change
- On occasion of World Environment Day, Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), in partnership with the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) MAITREE program, launched the “Healthy and Energy Efficient Buildings” initiative to make workplaces healthier and greener.
- It will address the challenges of retrofitting existing buildings and air conditioning systems so that they are both healthy and energy efficient.
Important value additions
Market Integration and Transformation Program for Energy Efficiency (MAITREE)
- It is a part of the US-India bilateral Partnership between the Ministry of Power and USAID.
- It is aimed at accelerating the adoption of cost-effective energy efficiency as a standard practice within buildings, and specifically focuses on cooling.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL)
- It is a joint venture of PSUs under the administration of Ministry of Power.
- It works towards mainstreaming energy efficiency and is implementing the world’s largest energy efficiency portfolio in the country.