State of India’s Environment report , 2020 released
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- The State of India’s Environment report, 2020 was released by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), a research and advocacy organisation.
- 19 major extreme weather events claimed thousands of lives last year.
- Internal displacement:
- More than 50 lakh internal displacements were reported in India in 2019 which is the highest in the world.
- Floods, Cyclones – Fani, Vayu and Bulbul, droughts were major factors.
- The report also broke down 2011 census data on migrant populations.
- There were over 45 crore migrants in the country at the time, with the vast majority migrating within their own State.
- In 2011, new migrants had moved for employment purposes, mostly from rural to urban areas.