Indian Railways runs First double-stack container train in OHE electrified territory
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure (Railways)
- The Indian Railways has created a world record by commissioning the first high rise Over Head Equipment (OHE) and successfully running double-stack containers in the electrified territory on the Western Railway.
- This achievement is a first of its kind in the entire world.
- It will also boost the Green India Mission.
- The operations successfully commenced on June 10 from Palanpur and Botad stations in Gujarat.
Important value additions
Green India mission
- It is one of the missions that come under the umbrella of National Action Plan on Climate Change.
- It was launched in 2014.
- The primary aim is to protect, restore and enhance India’s diminishing forest cover
- Ministry of Environment and Forests is the nodal Ministry for the mission.
- Some of its objectives are:
- Growth in forest or tree cover to 5 million hectares (mha).
- Increase the quality of forest cover in another 5 million hectares of forest or non-forest lands.
- Increase the quality of degrading moderately dense forests.
- Ecologically restore open forests which are being degraded.
- Grasslands revival – 0.4 million hectares