QS World University Rankings, 2021 released
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Education
- The Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2021 were released recently.
- The top 10 universities of the world comprised mainly the top-notch Ivy League colleges from the US, the UK and even one from Switzerland.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) of the United States secured Rank 1.
- Status of Indian universities:
- No Indian institute secured a position among the top 100 universities of the world.
- Like last year’s QS rankings, IIT Bombay, IISc Bengaluru, and IIT Delhi featured in the top 200 list.
- All three saw a drop in their ranks this year.
- IIT Bombay dropped 20 spots — from 152 to 172, IISC Bengaluru dropped one spot from 184 to 185, and IIT Delhi dropped 11 spots from 182 to 193.
- The total number of Indian institutions in the top 1,000 global list has also fallen from 24 to 21.
Important value additions
QS World University Rankings
- It is published annually by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), a British company specialising in the analysis of higher education institutions around the world.
- It measures the world’s top 1,000 universities on 6 factors:
- Academic reputation (40%)
- Employer reputation (10%)
- Faculty/Student Ratio (20%)
- Citations per faculty (20%)
- International Faculty Ratio (5%)
- International student ratio (5%)