India’s First mobile COVID-testing laboratory installed
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Health
- India has set up its first mobile testing laboratory in a bid to meet the growing demand to conduct coronavirus disease (COVID-19) tests.
- The mobile laboratory, with on-site Elisa, RtPCR & Bio-chem analysers, was created within eight days by a team from Andhra Pradesh MedTech Zone Limited.
- The laboratory can be deployed at remote and inaccessible areas in the country, where there is no such facility.
- The laboratory belongs to the biosafety level 2 (BSL-II) category.
Important value additions
- BSLs are ranked from one to four.
- They are categorised on the basis of the organisms that the researchers are dealing with.
- The organisms include viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc.
- SARS-CoV-2, which causes Covid-19, belongs to the BSL-II category.
- BSL-I is considered to be the least hazardous, while BSL-IV poses the maximum safety risk.
- Each level builds on the previous category, adding more layers of constraints and barriers.