Letter of Intent signed between CSIR and AIM to promote Innovation
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Innovation; Entrepreneurship
- Recently, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) have signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in various sectors.
Major areas of mutual interest include:
- Supporting world class start-ups through CSIR Incubators under Atal Innovation mission initiatives.
- Working together on new models of innovation including setting up of CSIR Innovation Parks.
- Stimulating innovation and research in the MSME industry by CSIR in collaboration with ARISE initiative of AIM.
- Creating problem solving mind-set across schools in India through close cooperation between Atal Tinkering Labs and CSIRs ´JIGYASA’ – a Student-Scientist connect program through which more than 3 lakhs students across the country have been exposed to science and technology.
Important value additions
Atal Innovation Mission
- It is Government of India’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
- AIM’s objectives are:
- To develop new programmes and policies for fostering innovation in different sectors of the economy.
- To provide platform and collaboration opportunities for different stakeholders.
- To create awareness.
- To create an umbrella structure to oversee innovation ecosystem of the country.
- Five major initiatives:
- Atal Tinkering Labs-Creating problem solving mindset across schools in India.
- Atal Incubation Centers-Fostering world class startups and adding a new dimension to the incubator model.
- Atal New India Challenges-Fostering product innovations and aligning them to the needs of various sectors/ministeries.
- Mentor India Campaign– A national Mentor network in collaboration with public sector, corporates and institutions, to support all the intiatives of the mission.
- Atal Community Innovation Center– To stimulate community centric innovation and ideas in the unserved /underserved regions of the country including Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.
- ARISE-To stimulate innovation and research in the MSME industry.