Measures taken to facilitate research work in Recombinant DNA Technology
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Biotechnology
- The Department of Biotechnology has taken several measures to streamline the biosafety regulation and to facilitate researchers and industries which are undertaking research and development in Recombinant DNA Technology and Hazardous Microorganisms.
- Operationalization of Indian Biosafety Knowledge Portal:
- Launched in May, 2019, it is now made fully operationalised.
- All new applications are being received through online portal only.
- The whole process has become transparent and time bound.
- Notification of Revised Simplified Guidelines on Import, Export and Exchange of GE Organisms and Product Thereof for R&D Purpose:
- The Revised Guidelines were issued in January, 2020.
- Institutional Biosafety Committee have been given authority to take decisions on applications of import, export and exchange of GE organisms and products.
- Facilitation of Research and Development on COVID-19:
- The Department has proactively taken several steps to facilitate researchers and industries involved in research on COVID19.
- Rapid Response Regulatory Framework for COVID-19 to deal with application for development of vaccines, diagnostics, prophylactics and therapeutics.
- Interim Guidance Document on Laboratory Biosafety to Handle COVID-19 Specimens has also been notified.
- Rapid response regulatory framework for development of recombinant DNA COVID 19 vaccine has also been issued.
Image source: PIB
Important value additions
- It refers to policies and procedures adopted to avoid risk to human health and safety and to the conservation of the environment as a result of the use of GMOs for research and trade.
Recombinant DNA Technology
- It is a technology used for producing artificial DNA through the combination of different genetic materials (DNA) from different sources.
- Gene therapy: It is used as an attempt to correct the gene defects which give rise to hereditary diseases.
- Clinical diagnosis
- It is used in carrying out Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) test. The test detects and measures antibodies in blood.
- It is used in the production of Insulin.
- It is used to produce genetically-modified organisms such as Flavr Savr tomatoes.