Bru-Reang Refugee crisis
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains I and II – Social/Wefare issue; Refugee issue; Human Geography – Ethnic tribes
- Non-Brus of Tripura have proposed six places for settling the displaced Brus from Mizoram.
- They also proposed the State government to set a limit for the number of families to be accommodated.
Who are Brus?
- Brus, also known as Reangs, are ethnically different from the Mizos, with their own distinct language and dialect and form one of the 21 scheduled tribes of Tripura.
Do you know?
- Displaced Bru tribals from Mizoram are living as refugees in Tripura since 1997.
- In 1997, roughly half the Bru population fled to Tripura, following violent clashes with the Mizo population.
- Recently, the union home ministry finally inked the tripartite pact which now paves the way for these displaced Bru tribals from Mizoram to permanently settle in Tripura.
- The Brus–spread across Tripura, Mizoram and parts of southern Assam–are the most populous tribe in Tripura.