Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – India and Russia ties; International Relations
Indian envoy to Russia said –
- India wants Russia to be more involved in the Indo-Pacific. (as India views Russia as a very important Pacific power)
- Russia should look to its own interests in the region and that will create a mutual basis for cooperation and dialogue.
- Indian and Russian investments in Vietnam’s oil and gas sector can be considered as one of the areas of cooperation.
- India wants Indo-Pacific region to be free and fair for everyone.
- A stable Indo-Pacific assumes particular importance for Russia too with the proposed energy bridge from Arctic to Vladivostok to Chennai.
Do you know?
- There have been standoffs between China and Vietnam in the South China Sea due to overlapping claims close to the Indian oil blocks in Vietnam’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
- Russian President Vladimir Putin to visit India later this year which coincides with the 20th year of India-Russia strategic partnership.